If you love design, we love you. We respect you. We need you. We need a great web-oriented designer with strong experience with web UX as well as working with front end developers. But more than a designer, we need a creative director who can build out and manage our design team. An individual who will take control of the MWI brand and whip it into shape. And someone who is passionate about customer service and knows how to handle clients when they’re wrong. By the way, we’re a lead generation firm today, but we started out as a design firm and design is our founder’s roots. Bottom line–we appreciate and respect good design.
Note: This is an opportunity to be critical part of our management team. You’ll have equal say in the company’s direction and decisions along with the partners, who will gladly defer to your experience.
All that said, this may not be the right opportunity for you.
If you can answer the following questions in the affirmative, then we want to hear from you:
1. Are you active in the design community? Do you write about design in places like Smashing Magazine, maintain an active, design-focused blog, and speak at design conferences and events?
2. Have you worked at a digital marketing agency previously? Have you worked with experts in SEO, PPC, social media marketing, conversion rate optimization, content marketing, or marketing automation?
3. Is your core strength web? Are you an expert at UX/UI? Do you have at least some minimal front end dev experience? Additional skills are great, but designing websites is the primary experience we’re looking for.
4. Do you have experience with data visualization and infographics? This is a huge plus, if so.
5. Do you have management experience? Have you built and managed a team before?
6. Do you have experience working with smaller clients? Your experience working for a large agency, with large brands, is great, but when someone’s portfolio only shows work for Nike, Coca Cola, and GE, we have to wonder if that designer can handle working with a client like Joe’s Self Storage in Minnesota who only has a $15K budget for his new website. It also makes us wonder if you can produce websites largely on your own, or if you only have experience working as part of a team under someone else’s direction.
7. Can you handle working in a startup environment? It’s not for everyone. Some people feel like it’s chaotic and out of control, and others love it.
Who We Are
We’re the agency that people love to work at, because we’re all reasonable people who stay close enough to crazy to do innovative work, but far enough away to live normal lives. We push boundaries with policies like unlimited vacation and sick days and total flexibility with when, where, and how you work. We don’t care, as long as the work gets done and it’s great work. We have 14 people on our team, and we’re growing rapidly. We’ll likely double in size by the end of 2016. We have offices in Phoenix, Salt Lake City, and Hong Kong, and we’re looking to open more. We don’t care where you’re located, it can be anywhere.
What We Need
We need a CD who does great digital work. Good work isn’t good enough. Our CD will be responsible not only for the MWI brand and all our own marketing materials, but for overseeing and doing client work, and there’s a lot of it. That means the CD must also be capable of building and managing a great team of designers.
What You’ll Get
Respect. Challenging work that will help you grow. Support. Honesty. And all the basics like good pay, retirement, perks, equity in the business, etc.
How to Apply
Email us links to websites you’ve designed lately. The first thing we’re going to do is click on those websites, prior to reading your email. We’re going to look at those sites, and we can generally tell within 5 seconds if there’s not a match. Within 30 seconds we can tell if there’s a potential match, and then we’ll start reading your email.