Open Position: Media Relations Manager
Location: United States
Love PR, but want to get more experience with digital? Interested in learning more about the intersection of PR, SEO, and content marketing? We are looking for an experienced media relations manager, publicist, or outreach specialist to build and lead a new division of our digital marketing agency. This is an opportunity to be critical part of the management team at an exciting company that is growing quickly. You’ll have equal say in the company’s direction and decisions along with the partners and other members of the management team.
Let’s speak frankly, to make sure it’s clear what we’re looking for–we provide lead generation services for our clients. We’re not interested in key message alignment, share of voice, prominence, or positive sentiment. We’re not interested in winning awards. We are interested in helping our clients sell lots of stuff and grow their companies.
As the media relations manager you will work closely with writers, content creators, content marketers, growth hackers, and SEO professionals to come up with stories, infographics, and other media that can be used in pitches to the media on behalf of MWI’s clients. Yes, this is PR, but it’s also content marketing, SEO, and sales.
- Track records of placing stories in top-tier publications and high-profile blogs like Forbes, Entrepreneur, Inc, The Huffington Post, TechCrunch, Business Insider, Mashable, Adweek, WSJ, The Economist, New York Times, Fast Company, The Next Web, or Wired.
- Experience with relevant services like GroupHigh, MuckRack, Prezly, and HARO.
- Experience with influencer outreach via Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram, etc.
- Digital DNA. Slack, Basecamp, Buffer, Canva, Jira, Gmail, WordPress, Google Doc–these are staples.
- What are examples of stories you single handedly placed in major publications and how did you do it?
- Other than pitching, what experience do you have with journalism and the publishing industry?
- What are your preferred tools for outreach to editors and journalists?
- How do you go about developing and maintaining relationships with editors and journalists?
- What experience do you have building and leading teams?
- Do you have experience working with smaller clients? Your experience working for a large agency, with large brands, is great, but when someone’s resume only shows work for Nike, Coca Cola, and GE, we have to wonder if that person can handle working with a client like Bill’s Best Beds in Minnesota who only has a $5K/month to spend.
- Do you want to work in a startup environment? It’s not for everyone. Some people feel like it’s chaotic and out of control, and others think it’s challenging, energizing, and exciting. It’s not that we’re out of control–we are into scrum, agile, Jira, and we have our processes and systems, but the company is growing rapidly and people are asked to hustle. It can certainly feel like chaos at times.
- How have you used PR to build your personal brand?
Who We Are
We’re the agency that people love to work at, because we’re reasonable people who stay close enough to crazy to do innovative, creative work, but far enough away from crazy to live halfway normal lives. We push boundaries with policies like unlimited vacation and sick days (we’re considering adding “forced vacation” for those who don’t know how to take a break) and almost total flexibility with when, where, and how you work. We don’t care, as long as the work gets done and it’s great work. We have 15 people on our team, are interviewing for 5 positions right now, and expect to be up around 30 team members by the end of 2016. We have offices in Phoenix, Salt Lake City, and Hong Kong, and we’re looking to open more. We are probably looking for someone in the US for this position, but would entertain hiring someone outside the US under the right circumstances. But the media we want to be pitching right now is primarily US based.
What You’ll Get
Respect. Challenging work that will help you grow. Support. Honesty. And all the basics like good pay, full benefits, retirement, perks, equity in the business, etc.
How to Apply
Email us with answers to the questions above. We’d love to hear from you!